Welcome to your 2022 Summer Survival Guide!
Meet Diana & Laura, our 2022 Summer Ambassador Team! We’ll be active in the community this summer attending events, connecting with businesses, distributing mural maps & swag, and creating social media content. We wanted to offer you the same information in a digital format and hope that you’ll check back often for updates, so don’t forget to bookmark this page!
Here are a few need to know announcements to note over the summer:
- The Bloomin’ Boulevards program launches in May with 100+ hanging baskets and planters being delivered throughout the area by our greenhouse partner Zocalo
- The Old Strathcona Clean Team is on the avenue 4x a week through the summer months (Tues, Thurs, Sat, Sun)
- Hire Good is doing weekly pressure washing on Mondays in high traffic areas
- The High Level Streetcar will be operational Friday through Monday all the way up to the new Whyte Ave stop from May-Sept
- Keep your eyes on the member newsletter for updates & opportunities to engage on upcoming placemaking projects, public places strategy, zoning & more!
Did you know we recently published an online events calendar? Event listings will include things like: special events, local markets, festivals, and OBSA sponsored events. We will not be promoting individual store sales or promotions. If you think your event fits this criteria, please submit your information to Diana & Laura! Here’s a brief look at what’s coming:
Meet Our Summer Ambassadors
Diana and Laura will be working with us from May – August.
They'll be active in the community this summer attending events, connecting with businesses, distributing mural maps & swag, and creating social media content. What else do our Summer Ambassadors do?
- Act as on-the-street ambassadors for the OSBA
- Plan, organize, and deliver various summer activations
- Engage with members and visitors, sharing info about programs, festivals, and events
- Create new content for social media by exploring and documenting neighbourhood activity
- Assist with keeping our neighbourhood clean and safe by being 311 reporting pros
- Support various OSBA projects as needed
Connect with us: email@example.com
Mural Map: 2022 Coming Soon!
After successfully launching our self guided mural map last summer, it's back and with new updates (coming soon)! Maps will be available at various events and handed out by Summer Ambassadors to visitors throughout the summer. Our district is now home to 60+ murals and counting, making us what we think is Edmonton's go-to area for Instagrammable spaces & places.
We'll also be publishing new Google maps to show off this season's patio locations, and new this year - pet friendly shops as well! These are all tools meant to encourage activity and exploration of the area. So we invite you to share them widely across your own platforms to amplify the message even further!
What can you do with this?
- Share, share, share!
- Use maps as a promotional tool to encourage activity and outdoor exploration of the area
- Invite customers to explore more of the district by letting them know where to find the map: (link coming soon!)
OSBA Clean Team
The Old Strathcona Clean Team is on the avenue 4x a week through the summer months (Tuesdays, Thursdays, Saturdays, and Sundays). The team works on litter and debris removal on streets, gutters, sidewalks and alleys on Whyte Avenue from 99th Street – 109th Street and side streets between 103rd Ave - 105th Ave (north and south). This team is a partnership between the OSBA, Capital City Clean Up and the Mustard Seed. Be sure to say hello and introduce yourself if you pass one of the team members!
Boyle Street's Hire Good team is also doing weekly pressure washing on Mondays in high traffic areas to help with sidewalk cleaning.
You can help keep our streets clean by checking your storefront every morning and disposing of any litter in your immediate area.
Pet Friendly Patios
Have you ever wondered how to officially make your patio four-legged friendly? Well it's never been easier following recent updates in May 2022 to the process which no longer requires authorization from AHS! Before welcoming furry friends onto restaurant & cafe patios please read this info sheet for details on the rules that support this new regulation change:
Scavenger Hunt Shopping Campaign
This year we're putting a spin on the usual Shop Hop. Check back soon for details on how we'll be launching a district wide scavenger hunt in the month of August! We'll be working on custom missions for visitors to complete, earn points, and win prizes. The goal is to boost visitor engagement and traffic to our district throughout the campaign.
Look out for details and find out how your business can participate in the member newsletter!
With festivals, patio season and long-awaited warm weather, foot traffic in our community will be at its peak this summer! How can stores take advantage and watch that foot traffic convert to sales? It starts with being prepared. Make sure your storefront is in good repair with clean windows, a swept entrance that is clear of garbage and debris, and working lights so that signage is clear and easily readable.
Creative sandwich boards, music, flowers, and water bowls for pets are also welcome sights for visitors that make stopping into your shop a no-brainer!
Looking for some storefront inspiration? Check out @storefrontcollective and @the_shopkeepers on Instagram!
But wait, there’s more…
Here's a look at some resources you might find helpful to keep bookmarked:
- Encouraging Positive Interactions
- Neighbourhood Response Tool
- Business Safety Matters
- Safer Business Spaces
- Edmonton Police Service Beats Team Contacts
- Sector Emergency Response
- City of Edmonton Encampment Strategy
- Each + Every
- Overdose Prevention Information for BIAs
- Understanding Bystander Intervention
- Digital Economy Program
Are you subscribed to our email member newsletter? This is the best way to stay up to date with our activity and get real time updates on area news, events, and developments. If you would like to be added, let Alanna know!
You can also connect with fellow business owners and operators from the area on our private Facebook group called Old Strathcona Business Owners & Representatives. This is not intended for promotional posts, but instead an opportunity to ask questions, share stories and engage with your neighbours!