We are absolutely loving all of the ways our community has come together in support of local businesses, and the Wheel of Local is no exception! This post was re-published with minor edits, with permission from Linda Hoang.
It’s been so incredible to see so many people are stepping up and insisting they will support local businesses during the COVID-19 pandemic. It’s also amazing to see how businesses have adapted to this new reality—quickly shifting to delivery, take-out, and curb-side pick-up models.
Many small businesses will not survive this pandemic without a concerted effort to support them.
I was trying to think of ways that my blog post could add to the growing resources aimed at helping you support local businesses, in a fun and slightly different way, and came up with this idea:
Spin the Wheel of Local: Edmonton Edition!
Here’s how Spin the Wheel of Local: Edmonton Edition! works:
- You have a desire to support local Edmonton businesses during this difficult time
- You can’t decide which business to support today, or this week, or this month
- You click below to Spin the Wheel of Local: Edmonton Edition
- It lands on a number
- You check the corresponding business / activity idea below that matches the number
- You do that thing!
And thereby contribute to the local economy, support an amazing business, get an amazing product or service in return, and it was all a randomly-generated surprise! So fun!!! Right?
Use the wheel to guide your day, week, or month of supporting local businesses!
Fun right?! lol
This current edition (as of March 22, 2020) features 100 businesses.
If you had fun trying Spin the Wheel of Local: Edmonton Edition!, let me know in the comments or on social media!
Note: apparently the wheel doesn’t load on some Android phones (of course lol).
Try this link if you can’t view the spinning wheel above!
Spin the Wheel of Local: Edmonton Edition!
(100+ local businesses to support)
Note: these are just *some* of the great businesses who could use your support in Edmonton. They feature restaurants (primarily) but also clothing stores, jewelry makers, artists and more. This is obviously not an exhaustive list, and some features may change so be sure to check out social media, website, or call to confirm specials! Please support your favourite spots and spots you don’t typically frequent too.
- Pick up the Ham and Pepperoni (or veggie) Hand Pies from Sugared & Spiced
- Order the Tuna Twist Bowl (and other take-out) from XIX Nineteen
- Grab the Mixed Paella (plus bottle of wine) from SABOR
- Heat up the $9 frozen meals from Green Onion Cake Man
- Get books delivered from the Wee Book Inn
- Buy jewelry from Archive Boutique
- Order fresh, cold-pressed juices from Glow Juicery
- Shop women’s clothing at Floc Boutique
- Try some tostadas and tacos from Calle Mexico
- Get some art supplies from The Paint Spot
- Shop the cutest items curated by Majesty & Friends
- Try egg and dairy free cookies from Bloom Cookie Co.
- Get a Take and Bake meal from A Cappella Catering
- Have craft beer delivered to you by Sea Change Brewing Co.
- Order some apparel that highlights the best of Canada West from Flannel Foxes
- Grab Vietnamese pho (soup) to go from King Noodle House Pho Hoang (when they re-open!)
- Snack your sorrows away with Caramunchies
- Grab a gift from Vivid Print
- Get fried chicken and beer from Northern Chicken
- Go support Chinatown businesses! Many aren’t on social media so may be forgotten 🙁 There are many bakeries, grocery stores, and restaurants that need your support during this time, like Lucky 97, Shan Shan Bakery, Hong Kong Bakery, Van Loc Sandwiches, Gui Lin Noodle House, Boba Island Bubble Tea, Tea Bar, and more!
- Do curb-side pick-up of breads, croissants, tarts and more from La Boule Patisserie
- Treat yourself to ice cream and baked treats from Yelo’d Ice Cream & Bake Shoppe
- Eat some award-winning chocolate from The Violet Chocolate Company
- Bring a smile to yours, or someone else’s face with flowers from Laurel’s on Whyte
- Get takeaway tacos from Pedro’s Taco’s
- Mix and match food from HanJan (Korean) and Izakaya Tomo (Japanese)
- Head to a local farmers market, like YEG Downtown Market, Old Strathcona Farmers’ Market, or Bountiful Farmers’ Market (be sure to check their vendor directories to find specific businesses to support!)
- Catch the Citadel Theatre’s “Stuck in the House” daily virtual performance series, then donate to the campaign to help artists
- Get kitchenware, accessories and gifts delivered from Heart of the Home
- Pick up local, wood fired eats from Smokey Bear
- Order a gift card for yourself or for friends at Escape City for when they re-open!
- Stock up on beauty products at LUX Beauty Boutique
- Add some green to your social distancing space from Little Plant Shop
- Get some charming and cheeky goods from Prairie Chick Prints
- Dig into special order grocery boxes made and delivered by Meuwly’s
- Enjoy pasta kits, frozen sauces, and vino with Corso at Home
- Support several businesses in one with a food box from the Uproot Food Collective (featuring Honest Dumplings, South Island Pie, Irving’s Farm, Mojo Jojo Pickles, Laker Coffee Co., and Natural Kitchen Delights).
- Fill up with a rotating RGE RD at Home menu
- Grab sandwiches to-go from Farrow
- Eat ‘za from LOVEPIZZA
- Order from Milk Crate, who has your “micro catering” needs covered!
- Support several businesses in one with a YEG Kit food box (featuring Gruger Family Fungi, Mini Kitchen, El Gringo, Colleen’s Chocolates, Meuwly’s and Family Tree Acres (veggie box also available)
- Shop all things beautiful at Plum Home + Design
- Grab a bunwich, bowl and drinks from Brown Butter Cafe
- Pick up met packs and Bagel Bar bagels at DeRose Bros Meats
- Get groceries and takeaway, ready-to-eat meals and snacks from the Italian Centre Shop (who are also doing complimentary delivery!)
- Buy art projects to do at home through Studio YEG Art’s Studio to Go
- Have some modern Filipino and Southeast Asian Cuisine from Filistix
- Try Family Style Pasta & Pizza from Tiramisu Bistro
- Pick up Pho Grab & Go Family Packs from Pho Boy Vietnamese Kitchen
- Pick up or get Filipino street food (including bao and spaghetti!) delivered from Kanto 98 Street Eatery
- Get the best soup dumplings from Shanghai 456
- Shop menswear at Jaisel
- Get a pants-keeper-upper totally unlike any other from Unbelts
- Call in and pick up Ethiopian from Beta Africa Ethiopian Restaurant
- Treat yourself to poke donuts or grab a gift card from Splash Poke
- Pick up from Central Social Hall (and get 25% off the entire menu)
- Get frozen family packs from Avila Arepa
- Have books delivered from Audrey’s Books
- Shop Red Pony Consignment online!
- Get pressed salmon sushi and carbonara udon from Dorinku Tokyo
- Have pork bulgogi, ddukbbokki and more Korean eats delivered or picked up from NongBu Korean Eatery
- Time for some noods! Get some at Oodle Noodle
- Take out famous meatloaf, mashed potatoes and veg (or other comfort dishes) at Blue Plate Diner
- Shop jewelry from Saraswati Designs
- Pick up board games from The Gamers’ Lodge or The Hexagon Board Game Cafe
- Get some classic Chinese comfort food pick-up or delivered from The Lingnan
- Order the TNT and Love Crunch rolls plus New Style Sashimi from Japonais Bistro
- Build your own customizable dinner from Cafe Amore Bistro
- Get gifts and flowers from Zocalo
- Buy lovely jewelry from Mad Love Jewelry
- Treat your pets (and stock up on essentials) from Tail Blazers
- Shop at The Bamboo Ballroom
- Get handmade accessories from Sugar Soul Studio
- Order a Greek Family Night meal from Little Village
- Get some handmade, cruelty-free, vegan artisanal soaps from Soap So Co.
- Fuel up with ACE Coffee Roasters
- Fill up with authentic Taiwanese cuisine from Formosa Bistro
- Try the Yum Noodle Pork soup from Chix Shack
- Upgrade your PJs with Cloud Nine Pajamas
- Grab delicious green tea matcha drinks and desserts from Tsujiri
- Treat your skin with all-natural products from Pura Botanicals
- Pick-up Korean street food from Gangnam Street Food
- Give or get a gift from The Makers Keep
- Order some gifts for your pets from Safe & Hound
- Order some gourmet soup mixes from 2 Die 4 Gourmet Soups
- Get some local brews delivered from Polar Park Brewery
- Pick up delicious empanadas from Paraiso Tropical
- Shop a Sweet Jolie Boutique collection
- Take-out ramen from Nudoru Ramen
- Get cozy with comforting Tourtiere and Cinnamon Buns from Highlevel Diner
- Shop the Skinny!
- Add a new decor piece to your home with HABITAT315 Vintage
- Pick up some wine and cheese offsales from The Butternut Tree
- Order prepared Ukrainian meals from Mundare Sausage / Uncle Ed’s Restaurant
- Grab gift certificates for an Alberta Food Tour
- Pick up some signature Justine Ma Design gifts
- Grab some homemade sandwiches, pies and unique tea-cup cheesecakes at Swiss 2 Go Cafe & Catering
- Buy some hand-crafted concrete gifts + jewelry from Grey Shed
- Get tacos, nachos, and salsas from The 3 Amigos